Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Happy 1st BEE DAY to my sweet bumble bee....

Okay all - well Mr. Wes turned 1 on July 2nd and since his b-day falls the weekend of July 4th - We held out on his party until July 9th (the following weekend). Now granted I have been obsessively shopping on Etsy for over 6 months and buying things at random. LOL.. I decided on the Bee theme - since we call our Mister, bumble bee. I had been collecting the directions for some time and putting them all up and together was so rewarding. Putting Elle and Wes's matching outfits together was so much fun - have to give a shot out to my Sister in Law Stacy for her crafty self. So I wanted to provide a small review of the b-day and how it went.

So the party was held on July 9th from 2pm - 4pm at our house. I took off work on Friday to finalize all the details and start the prep work.

Friday, July 8th consisted of prepping - so I made these awesome bee rice krispy treats - not gonna lie the oil on my hands and positioning of the flaked almonds (which broke all the time) took up some time.

I baked all the cupcakes (devils food cake mix and butter cream icing) and made the party rye appetizers 


Then I decided to make Wes's smash cake cake - I cooked the devils food cake in a small pyrex bowl and used the remaining butter cream icing and drizzled the chocolate from the rice krispies to make it somewhat resemble a bee.


After all the cooking and baking was complete - I ran to Hobby Lobby to finish up Wes's outfit and to Target to get Elle's matching outfit. I bought the white onesie and the appliques for it and matched Elle in black and yellow. For Wes, I got the black bow tie applique and my sister in law added the yellow bow - we purchased the number one and letters and made the back - I found my old BEE costume from college and took the stinger and used that for his bum - TOO CUTE. Elle's dress I found at Target - along with those rocking shoes - the headband was made by my sister in law too.





After I finished up the costumes - I started working on the decorations. I got a few things done on Friday with the decorations but finished them on Saturday. I decided that I was NOT going to make the cake and bought it from the best bakery in St. Louis (well to me) Mcarthur's Bakery. I purchased yellow cake mix with the white buttercream icing (can you tell I love buttercream - LOL) and had black and white polka dots placed all over it - I bought a big Styrofoam "W" from Hobby Lobby for the topper - here it is in the right of this picture on the bar.



Here are the inside decorations - all purchased from EtsyB.A. Sweetie Candy Company store in Cleveland, OH, and stuff around my house - LOL







Saturday I started the outside decorations. I picked up the balloons and went straight to decorate. Oh and yes that Lion sits outside in our backyard - Elle, Eric, and I are all Leo's - and yes he is wearing MY BEE costume from college - hahahaha. Elle LOVED IT!







It was a HOT HOT day - so we ordered pizza's from Domino's and had a huge salad. Kept us from heating the kitchen with our oven - THANK GOD!!!!!! The kids cooled off in the water table that was set up outside.


Wes ate his cake (Elle fed him too) and opened his gifts - so sweet....





Everyone enjoyed the desserts tremendously - including Daddy.



We even took a great 4 generations picture - What a keepsake!!!! On the left is Wes, Eric, Eric's Dad - Rocky, Eric's G-pa Charlie, Eric's youngest brother Steve, and Eric's oldest Bro Dan.


I even think PaPa Charlie enjoyed the party.... LOL


So Mr. Wes man scored many awesome gifts - including a Bumble Bee pillow pet and stuffed animal, books and LOTS of them, cash, a tee ball set, and a elephant that pops balls. He is set for awhile. Wes did great - was a good boy and then crashed after hitting his head on the patio - poor guy - LOL.. He has such a hard head - didn't even leave a mark.

So Happy 1st Birthday my sweet sweet boy.. MaMa loves you more than you could ever know.....




3 comments:

  1. The bow tie on Wes' onesie just slays me! LOVE it! NIce to see a pic of you with your little man. Great party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIS BUTT!!! LOL I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep a reader amused.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost
    moved to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

    my page: pay day loans online

    ReplyDelete