Friday, September 28, 2012

"Dig A Little Deeper" Part 1...

Alright you might have noticed I am rescheduling my "Fact or Fiction" to NEXT Friday. I decided to "dig a little deeper" for this post. I have to break this up or my GOSH you are going to be like "shut the front door you long winded lint licker". As you all might have noticed, I pretty much live a life to LAUGH. Laughter is the best medicine in my book. I try to make light of situations and just SMILE through it all.

I wanted to write this post to get you all up to date on how I got to where I am today. I won't go into great lengths about certain situations, but it might help those who are new followers or have never heard my story.

I was born into this beautiful world in the lovely city of St. Louis, MO on August 7, 1980 - SWEET God placed me in the Midwest. LOL - My parents were married and my dad traveled A LOT for his job. My mom stayed home with my brother and I. We traveled with him quite often, living for a year in Jacksonville, FL. We lived in California and Texas for a short while too.

After returning back to St. Louis, MO my parents divorced in 1987. My mother, brother, and I moved into my mom's parents two family flat in the city and I then started Private school. I never really was "sad" my parents were divorcing, they fought a TON, and now I didn't have to listen to it anymore. My mom started working and my grandparents moved out of the house and to Chattanooga, Tennessee ~ so we had the flat to ourselves now. I think with my mom working full-time and doing it all by herself, the home cooked meals began to slow and more fast food options were brought to the table. I began to add on the pounds - plus I was starting the pre-pubescent climb and the weight just seemed to pack on. By 6th grade I was at my heaviest and we had just received the news that both my mother and father were getting re-married within the same MONTH. AGH!!! I think the stress was a bit much and I turned to twinkies, cup-cakes, chocodiles, etc... to help lessen the stress. I was made fun of - I was unhappy - and it just plain hurt.

6th grade
In 7-8th grade both my parents remarried - my mom and step-dad purchased a new house and there we went AGAIN... moving, however I did stay in the same school. I started CYC sports and working out in my basement. I decided I wanted to look "good" for when I started high school.

8th grade Graduation
I started high school in 1994 and was feeling "pretty good" about myself. I had my friends, family, and weight all in check. I continued to play sports, make friends, and do the normal things high school kids do. I believe I was nice to EVERYONE ~ I played well in the sandbox and always had a soft spot in my heart for those kids that people picked on. I tried my BEST to make sure I never got involved in the "name calling, bullying, gossiping, etc..." and I faired well.

Homecoming Queen Senior Year
In high school I started dating one guy, exclusively, the end of my freshman year and that lasted into my senior year, with the occasional break up here and there ~ the normal high school stuff. You fight, you break up, you miss them, you make up, etc... blah, blah, blah. Then the time came to choose college and I wanted to go away. I wanted OUT of St. Louis, OUT of my parents house, OUT of this small life, and onto my OWN new beginning. So I opted to go away - not too far, only 4 hrs west towards Kansas City. HA:) I am sure the fact that my bff's were going there had a TON to do with it too. Leaving my boyfriend back in St. Louis and trying the long distance thing was the HARDEST thing I had done at that time in my life. I remember when he and my parents dropped me off, that gut wrenching feeling seeing him walk out the door. It was terrible.

College 
College was a blast. I fell in love with the campus, the people, the fun, the FREEDOM very quickly. I was now finally FREE to find ME!!! I was still dating the boyfriend and we were doing pretty well with the long-distance thing (or so I had thought). I came home for Spring Break sophomore year and received a phone call from my girlfriends that they were on the way to my house RIGHT THEN and not to speak to anyone yet. Well to save you all from the long drawn out story, my boyfriend had cheated on me and apparently gotten someone pregnant. Say what? I was devastated ~ I  mean D.E.V.A.stated. So there went my built up confidence that I worked so hard on for years, right down the drain. Thank ya very much.

I started dropping weight like a mad woman. I was truthfully in a depression that I had never been in before or ever thought I would be. My parents decided that if I lost anymore weight they were going to put me in the hospital. I cried myself to sleep every night, hit the bars at least 3/4 days a week (not too unheard of for a college kid), started smoking cigarettes like a smokey smokerson, and basically spiraled out of control for a bit. I was sad and questioning myself. Why was I not good enough, what did I do wrong, was I not pretty enough, not a good enough body, was I boring, what had I done, etc...?
Yep that is me third from the right with a cig in hand
Right around this time, one of my good male friends that I met in college that year and I were out at a bar. I told this guy that night I was going to be his wing-woman. See he was the party frat boy and honestly he never really had "girls" around. I saw him with a few here and there, but he hung with the guys and had us girls as his friends (I mean what more do you need?). We hung out regularly - partied - I drove to pick him up when he was passed out from too many keg stands, but I always thought the "right" girl could settle him down. He needed to find someone SOON or else who knew what would happen to him:) He had a big heart and come on - he was HOT!!! Girls fawned over him but he hung with the guys, us girls, and just did his own thing.

That night at the bar I told him, he could find ANY girl in the bar that suited his fancy and I would find a way to get them two talking. This was my chance to help him out - find a suitable person for him (miss matchmaker I am). Well after I told him that, his response was "I have my eye on one girl in here and that is YOU". Can you guess who this male friend was? You got it - Eric... and so the story of us begins...

Eric in College - handsome might I add
Part II - to be continued...
Happy Hizzidy Friday Friends

11 comments:

  1. Aww! My baby sister is a Junior at Central right now! My parents are also graduates as well as most of my aunts, uncles, and cousins.... I had to rebel and go to SEMO! ha. But it is a pretty fun school!! Cant wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goosebumps mama!!!! You have been through some tough times and if I know anything about you - it has only made you stronger.
    Can't wait to read part two!!! xo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the backstory! It is always so much fun to read how someone got to where they are today. Eric's picture is cracking me up, too. It totally looks like those serious composite pictures you have to take for your fraternity/sorority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeee!!! I love this! I love reading people stories and I can not wait for your part 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I got the chills! Love the back story and more insight into you Mel!
    What is it with college and drunk-arexia? Sheesh. Can't wait to read part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for Part 2! I love a good love story. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your story. Who doesn't love a lUUUVVVV story? All that pain was worth the ONE, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww love your story! I can't wait for part 2 :D Thanks for sharing it, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these kind of stories... Part 2 better be Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a boyfriend from my freshman year in high school until my freshman year of college. He did the same thing to me... Without getting the other girl knocked up. It hurt me so much and I lost weight like crazy too. I think my lowest weight was 95 pounds (I'm 5'6") but after all that hurt, I was introduced to my love by a nursing school classmate :) Loved your story. Very similar to my life :)

    ReplyDelete