Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pump Up the Jam

Happy Wednesday - or Thanksgiving Eve... I like to call it - the day before I lose my mind. Hello people welcome to Thanksgiving, I am the half lit one on my 4th glass of wine - enjoy the spread.

Well today I promised my workout - so here you go lovelies. I am old school - for real I use dumb-bells, one bar, and my body. I don't have fancy schmancy equipment. I own a treadmill and this other thing in the picture - HA!!! I have YET to be able to do a pull-up - but I am working on that. I feel like my arms are pulling off of me - like I am going to look like Stretch Armstrong or something - freaks me out. I love the play room in the basement too - the kids play while I work out - so we get to spend time together even when I am exercising.



Oh wait. Weigh in Wednesday - I am down 3 more lbs. Sweet Lordy I am a happy girl;)
Okay so here it is - Mel working on her fitness. I am by no means an expert at ANYTHING except drinking Margaritas and shoveling Swedish Fish in my mouth. So please don't take this as a "rule of thumb".



Okay so my week looks like this - I run 4-5 days a week and weight train somewhere around 3-4 days a week. Now I REALLY focus on my arms and booty - arms are my area that need to be worked out consistently and I like killer booties:) This is my typical routine - but I change things up to give myself some flexibility and non-monotony.

Bicep curls combo (3 sets of 25 - 8lbs) with Overhead Presses (3 sets of 15 - 8lbs) - so I do one set of bicep curls - then a set of overhead presses, and so on. I am SUPER into good looking shoulders - I love the dent in the shoulder. I always feel nice shoulders really make you look HAWT and make someone look like they have good posture. Posture is KEY!

Upright Rows combo (3 sets of 15 - 25lb bar) with Hammerhead curls (3 sets of 25 8lb) - once again good ole biceps and shoulders.

Tricep kickbacks combo (3 sets of 25 - 5lbs) with bent over two dumbell rows (3 sets of 25 - 8lbs). Working on the triceps and upper back here.

Then I do a few sidebends with 5lb weights followed by some calf raises. I do about 30 sidebends, then 30 calf raises (and do this set 3 times).

Followed by rocking out (3 sets of 20) good ole fashion push-ups. I used to have to do the girl kind - but I am getting better.

Okay now onto legs and booty stuff. I start out with good ole fashion squats (no weights) - (3 sets of 30). It kills, but push through it.

Then I do a combo with wide stance squat while holding a 20 lb weight (3 sets of 20) followed by dumbell side lunge (3 sets of 15). So like the arm routines - do one wide stance sqaut set, then the lunge set, and so on....

Alright here is a killer - it is called "The Grizzly Bear" - I only do (2 sets of 25) because I basically want to die afterwards.

Finally I love me some kettle-bell - but since I don't have any I grab a 20 lb weight and do the swing. I love this workout - total body killer and you can REALLY feel it in your booty and inner thighs. (3 sets of 25)

Alright we are ALMOST there.... So I take a break - grab some water - turn up my ole school rap (No Limit Soldiers anyone?) and now it is time to push out some abs.

Basic crunches - 100
Reverse crunches - 100
Bicycle crunches - 100
Crunch twist - 75
Superman - 3 sets of 25 - in the video he does it a little different. I go all up and down at once so both my legs and arms go up at the same time - then down, then up, etc...

You can check the ab routines out HERE

AND... I ALWAYS end with a few PLANKITY PLANKS... I do about 5 or so and hold it until I shake, can't move, and fall over. LOL.. I usually look like this at the end - see always smiling:)

Finally by then some good booty shaking music is on - so I dance a bit for my cool down/stretch - ha.. yes I dance.. deal with it:)

Well there you have it - nothing fancy at ALL - and since I adore my girl Ashley - this one is for you girl - you can mean mug my NY Yankees hat all you want but Jeter is the MAN. Love me some Yankees - love YOU too, of course:)

BAM - sans make-up, sweaty, and a chipped nail - so hood I tell ya.
Go Sweat It Out
 Are you pumped for tomorrow? Your favorite ab workout? Cap to the side?

27 comments:

  1. That is one heck of a workout - and you look like THAT after!!
    Love planks. Well, hate them, but love what they do for you!
    Congrats on a great weigh-in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome workout! you're so hood.

    My favorite workout is crossfit. lifting heavy weights makes me feel so beast.

    I'm excited about tomorrow, but it doesn't seem like it should be thanksgiving yet... booo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on being 3 lb's down!! Thanks for the workout, I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, another 3 lbs! Great workout and love that you can hang with the kiddos at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am officially in awe of your kick ass workout. I feel like such a little wuss and obviously need to step it up. Congrats on the weight loss! Oh, and I'll also be the one on Thanksgiving on my 4th glass of wine, but who's counting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely going to try some of these lifting techniques! I like the idea of biceps and shoulders in one. I have been running but really need to start weights!
    Thanks for posting this, your area is so hardcore like Rocky style training hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyway you could post a video tutorial? I don't know how to do a lot of these lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe your still smiling at the end - I wouldn't even be able to get back up off the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice routine!! I'm impressed you have the Dustin to do it at home. I know I wouldn't, so its body pump twice a week for me!! And contests on the weight loss!! I'll be on the weight loss bandwagon after Thanksgiving. May need a little accountability!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are ridiculously pretty in that last picture - shoot me now!!!!! i'll be sure and drink a glass of wine tonight just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dang you go girl!!! I keep seeing your pictures on instagram and you look like a stud!!! Keep it up! And WOOHOO on 3 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I've totally got that song stuck in my head! Which is not a bad thing. Love me some 90's jams! I like the last picture. Keepin' it hood! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a hard-core routine! I love it! So how often do you run and weight train on the same day? I'm always curious to see how people fit both cardio and weight training into their schedules (because I struggle with that hard-core)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the 3 big ones Mel! I too am working on a pull up- I bought this awesome band that helps me get better at and you can attach to anything, anywhere. It's pretty freaking sweet. One day I'll be able to do it alone- one day. I'm going to have to try your work out! You seriously look amazing! Happy Day before you lose your mind- I'll be half lit on fourth glass too. What's a holiday without a little wining aka WINNING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol so hardcore! I wish we had a basement!!!! I am jealous of your space and putting in a request to J ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this - thanks for posting this. I'm gonna add some hood Mel moves to my workout repertoire. Happy Lose Your Mind Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome, I loved reading your workout! And super jealous you have a whole workout space in your basement - no waiting in line at the gym for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so pumped for tomorrow!

    Fav Ab workout? What the heck is that? I kid. Uh, I'd go w/ reverse crunches. It feels bad (in a good way, or vice versa) when doing them.

    I can't pull off a 'cap to the side' look, but you rock it!

    Thanks for the workout post, will def get on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I want to be you! lol. How long does it take you normally to get through your workout? I'm trying to get in a running routine now and then add in a weight workout. Slowly but surely working my way up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome weight loss!! Your work out is fantastic! Happy Thanksgiving Eve! I know I'm going bat sh** crazy over here :) I'm hosting a couple of other families who work with my husband and can't go home to their families because of distance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha! I'm telling you, we're going to have a mean mug show down someday! On most days, I can probably give you a run for your money on the chipped nails too! Bam!

    Happy Thanksgiving, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha! I'm telling you, we're going to have a mean mug show down someday! On most days, I can probably give you a run for your money on the chipped nails too! Bam!

    Happy Thanksgiving, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love some No Limit Soldiers .... Kilo is pretty good too, and don't forget some Montell Jordan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your post!! But I have a question, I am just now getting into the weight thing, I dont know how to do all of the workouts you posted about - where did you learn? Is there anywhere for a tutorial online? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We would make awesome work out partners! too bad we live in different states :) I wish I had a basement to workout in, stupid Texas. I'm gonna be alllll over that Grizzly bear!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh jeez, i guess this means I need to up my exercise from just cardio. #shootmenow surely I can do something similar to this 3 days a week plus running plus the 30 day shred. i mean, who needs sleep?!

    ReplyDelete